Bhela, Bela, Beula, Bhelama, Beda (Mymensingh), Velama (garo), Marking Nut Tree (English), Oriental Cashew (English)
Forests of Chittagong, Chittagong Hill Tracts, Sylhet and Sal forests of Modhupur.
Botanical Description 6
A small to meduum-sized, deciduous tree. Leaves 18-60cm long, obovate-oblong, rounded at the apex, coriaceous, Flowers small, greenish white, subsessile, fascicled in pubescent panicles which are equa
Common Ethnobotanical Use 7
Ripe fruits are regarded as carminative, tonic, aphrodisiac and stimulant; good for piles. Juice of the pericarp and the oil is power escharotics. Oil of the nut is a powerful antiseptic and anti-helmintic; used externally in acute rheumatism, sprains, leukoderma, leprosy and psoriasis. It is also useful in asthma. Paste of the bark is used as an embrocation for both articular and muscular rheumatism. Decoction of the bark is given in gonorrhea. A brown gum exudes from the bark, which is regarded as a valuable medicine in scrofulous, venereal and leprous affections. The root is considered useful in regulating menstruation.
|Compound Name||Compound in Plant Parts||Reference|
|Plants Parts||Extract Type||Activity||Reference|
- 1 Dr. Mohammed Yusuf, D.J.B., Muhammad Nuzmul Hoque, Jasim Uddin Chowdhury. (2009) Medicinal Plants of Bangladesh.
- 2 Indap, M., Ambaye, R. and Gokhale, S. (1983) Antitumor and pharmacological effects of the oil from Semecarpus anacardium Linn. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol, 27, 91.
- 3 Chakraborty, S., Roy, M., Taraphdar, A.K. and Bhattacharya, R. (2004) Cytotoxic effect of root extract of Tiliacora racemosa and oil of Semecarpus anacardium nut in human tumour cells. Phytotherapy Research: An International Journal Devoted to Pharmacological and Toxicological Evaluation of Natural Product Derivatives, 18, 595-600.
- 4 Premalatha, B., Muthulakshmi, V. and Sachdanandam, P. (1999) Anticancer potency of the milk extract of Semecarpus anacardium Linn. nuts against aflatoxin B1 mediated hepatocellular carcinoma bearing Wistar rats with reference to tumour marker enzymes. Phytotherapy Research, 13, 183-187.
- 5 Mathivadhani, P., Shanthi, P. and Sachdanandam, P. (2007) Apoptotic effect of Semecarpus anacardium nut extract on T47D breast cancer cell line. Cell biology international, 31, 1198-1206.
- 6 Yusuf, M., Begum, J., Hoque, M. and Choudhury, J. (2009) Medicinal plants of Bangladesh-Revised and enlarged. Bangladesh Coun. Sci. Ind. Res. Lab. Chittagong, Bangladesh, 794.
- 7 Ghani, A. (1998) Medicinal plants of Bangladesh: chemical constituents and uses. Asiatic society of Bangladesh.